Rambutan and Intuition



I wouldn’t have believed that if I’d mentioned my love for rambutan to my husband that he would remember it and even act on it, but he did both this week. When I came home yesterday there was a bowl of green and red rambutan in the kitchen. It was the best surprise.

We’re having a winter of extremes, in fickle cycles of bitterly cold to briefly spring like within days of each other. And lots of rain. Rain and unpredictability has been keeping us indoors, and as is always the case in February, I’m getting edgy. I need skin warm from the sun and pineapple shave ice melting and dripping down my arm. I need to go earthing, and I’m tired of the chore of dressing for cold weather each day.

As time goes by, and Todd and I love and understand each other more intuitively, talk is replaced by sensitivity and action. I don’t complain to my husband about my winter woes. But he is smart and instinctual enough to know when I could use some support. That bag of delicious rambutan, some ripe and some not yet ripe, did the trick.

I know he had to find the rambutan, which is not easy in the middle of winter in New England. And it’s not inexpensive. Somehow, he found it, bought it, and brought it home to a girl who really needed it. That’s intuitive love. Pretty awesome.

We bundled up and sat outside and peeled rambutan, then ate the sour-sweet, soft white flesh of the fruit. Rambutan has pits that look like almonds, and spiny skin that reminds me of something from outer space. After we were done, I scattered the pits and skins over the compost pile. There’s no growing rambutan in the northern hemisphere, but at least the waste will nourish our food gardens come summer.

Loving intuitively involves understanding deeply others' flowing and growing and giving them what they need to prosper. It means a bowl of surprise rambutan or dinner or lovemaking or the benefit of the doubt or just space. I can still taste that delicious fruit. It tasted like patience, intimacy, and gratitude. Best rambutan I ever had.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts