Transformation



All the wonderful changes that happen on the homestead in springtime are underway. We’ve planted the organic seedlings of heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, and pole beans. This weekend, we’re planting sunflower and zinnia seeds, and our own Asahi Miyako watermelon seedlings. We’ll also be planting the greens beds. Greens are going in late this year, but it’s been a cold and wet spring.

The birdhouse has babies inside, and we hung the hummingbird feeder, which the hummers found in about 30 minutes. They’ve been buzzing back and forth non-stop. I use a glass feeder filled with a simple sugar water I make by boiling distilled water and adding sugar – about a 1:1 ratio – and letting it cool. I keep extra in the fridge to refill when needed.

I’ve stopped coconut milk kefir making and this weekend will start making water kefir for the warmer months. I neglected last year’s grains and they’re no longer viable, so I ordered a fresh set of organic grains and as soon as they arrive, will begin with a batch of strawberry water kefir. Kombucha making is also going into suspension until autumn. I have a half-gallon jar of organic scobys if anyone’s interested in a freebie.

There are urns of herbs on the deck, and the potted Bird of Paradise is outside at the front entrance. White impatiens are in a big blue bowl next to it, alongside two urns of stonecrop. I bought and planted pink bee balm and white poppies. We’ve placed three new rosebushes at the side of the house. And for my birthday, my husband bought a Japanese Pencil Tree, which I planted at the front of the house.

My husband is busy readying the boat. The plan is to have it in the water in two weeks, in time for Memorial Day. Once it is, there will be less time at home and more time on the ocean. So, the work right now is to get everything in place so we’re free to do what we love – spend summer on the water.

I’m so looking forward to munchies at Dead Eye Dick’s and The Oar on Block Island, and sea turtle and dolphin spotting on the Sound. Our slip is in Mystic, one of the lovliest oceanside towns in Connecticut. There’s an art community in Mystic that I feel I’m going to get close to. Old Saybrook and the Tibetan community that lives there is nearby. Gratitude.

But right now, there’s work to be done. Getting the food gardens in place, donating cold-weather clothes (we’re always lightening our load), clearing the house of winter vibes (sage burning mandatory), finding a macramé tutor, and saving money for summer miracles. Priorities.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts