Summer Harmony



We had a beautiful Fourth of July weekend on the boat. Our first view of fireworks from the deck of the boat was amazing. A few nights on the water and four days exploring Connecticut, New York and Rhode Island waters, islands, and restaurants was just as good as a plane ticket if not better, and cost very little in comparison. We’re grateful and renewed.

Coming back home, we found that the food gardens had started giving in our absence. Big summer squash were ready to pick, so we grabbed five and grilled them with fresh mango, garden mint, pink salt, and pepper. My husband had a side of beef and I made ugali, my latest obsession.

I’ve been making Kenyan foods all summer. There’s a wonderful variety of plant-based foods in Kenyan cuisine. Ugali is a simple, soft cornmeal bread mixed and steamed in a heavy pot. It’s fluffy and mild. It goes with everything, especially greens and tomatoes, in a dish called sukuma wiki.

Sukuma wiki is made in Africa using collard greens. I’ve been using our young garden kale. Soon, we’ll have garden tomatoes for sukuma wiki. Together with ugali and maybe some stewed beans and we have a yummy plant-based meal that’s packed with minerals and plant protein. All good.

It’s been a summer of blessings at the homestead. The weather has been great. We built a hummingbird feeding station with three feeders that is like hummingbird central every morning. We spend lots of time on the water. Safe to say we’ll never fall out of love with the ocean. We celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary in June with a day at Block Island watching the Off Soundings Regatta and dinner at The Oar. My husband received an important promotion at work, accompanied by a salary increase that makes our lives a little bit nicer. When that happened, we decided on a way to pay it forward and keep the good Karma flowing. I’ll tell you about that another time.

My interest in astrology is deepening and with it, a renewed interest in bioenergies and visual clairvoyance. When training as a Reiki Master years ago, my teacher gave me a simple technique for viewing prana – the energy that emits from all life. With a bit of disciplined practice, I learned to see auras all day long. The book ‘The Celestine Prophecy’ guided me deeper into the experience.

Now, I’d like to have a professional clairvoyant use Kirlian photography to document my current aura and give me a reading. I found a place nearby that offers both services and am scheduled to go. Typically, summer is not a time that I turn inward. For whatever reason, I have, and so it’s a good time for an aura image and a review of the findings.

In August, I’m taking refuge at a weekend retreat at Dae Yen Sa, a Korean Buddhist temple in Connecticut that I visited two summers ago for a day of Ganhwa Seon. That day triggered a deep interest in the Buddhism of cultures besides Tibet’s. Next month’s visit will widen my understanding of Korean Buddhism and Seungsahn and I’m looking forward to it.

I’m aware of and thankful for the blessings that have come our way. Summer 2019 has been about harmony and good vibes and opportunities to expand our consciousness while being of service to others. Keeping that good prana moving.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts