From the news desk

Flowerpot's spontaneous combustion blamed for fire
St. Paul Pioneer Press
- Fire investigators said a fire that destroyed a Mendota Heights home last week was caused by a flowerpot. Fire Chief John Maczko said a flowerpot on the home's deck spontaneously combusted. While rare, spontaneous combustion can happen to pots with the right mixture of soil, moisture and heat. Homeowner Dan Stoven said it's hard to believe, but said he's just glad his 17-year-old daughter was able to escape when passers-by entered the home to wake her up. Investigators said the soil was in a plastic pot that had become hot after several days of high temperatures and humidity. It ignited July 8, and wind helped the fire grow and spread to the deck and then to the house.

Popular Posts