The Beautiful Adzhan


I've been listening to a beautiful series of Adzhan recordings all week. The Adzhan is the familiar Islamic call to prayer, called out via microphone from mosques five times a day in Muslim countries. Believers are summoned through the Adzhan to stop their activities and participate in worship (salat). The Adzhan recites the Islamic 'Takbir' ('God is great') and the 'Shahada' ('There is no God but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God') and is a mandatory daily practice for Muslims.

If you haven't heard the Adzhan either in person or in a recording, do. And here's my recommendation: go to a quiet place where no other sounds will intrude. Find a simple, real recording of the Adzhan (I'll post a link to my favorite below), relax, and listen.

The Adzhan is a hauntingly beautiful recitation. Never mind if you're not Muslim: this exquisite song will make you cry from happiness, as it made me the first time I heard it. It's said that repeatedly listening to the Adzhan will cure depression and drive out mental illness. This seems impossible, but somehow believable when you're immersed in the Adzhan.

I'll play my favorite Adzhan recording in a loop for a long time - while sitting, cooking, and driving. I know this is not the intended use of the Adzhan, and I apologize if it offends anyone. Please let me know if it does.

Its effects are amazing. I'm completely in love with this holy sound. Of course, I've added Turkey to my bucket list. I want very much to hear the Adzhan in its native land, and at its prescribed times. I have a feeling it will be life changing.

Why have I, one week before Christmas, suddenly found and fallen in love completely with this most precious of Muslim traditions? I have no clue. But I'm going wherever it leads me. It's intoxicating.

Here's the link to the most beautiful, sacred sounds you will ever hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_LN0hznp-A

May all beings be happy.

Barbie xo


Popular Posts