First Seeds, Jim Carrey, and January


A quick January post. We're bulling our way through winter. My husband and I spend a lot of time indoors. We nap a lot, go to bed early, and have been eating way too many treats. But this is mid-winter, and it's all good. Spring is on its way.

Yesterday, I picked up two packs of organic pole bean seeds. Seeds are just coming out now. Seeds catalogs are pouring in. Last spring, I had a hard time finding organic pole bean seeds, so this year, I'm heading off that problem. Two packs should give us enough plants for the season. Pole beans are prolific. I'm already thinking about plant placement in the food gardens. Very stoked.

Aside from spending time with my amazing old man and pursuing seeds for the 2018 gardens, I've discovered someone who has a lot to teach us. Actor Jim Carey is opening up on his theories about existence, and his thoughts are amazing. Wait a minute - did I say Jim Carrey? Yes, yes I did.

Carrey endured a crippling depression after the suicide of girlfriend Cathriona White, and the making of his brilliant film Man on the Moon, a biopic about actor Andy Kauffman. Carrey struggled profoundly with depression and identity, and has emerged a wakening person. A lot of his fans have heard his thoughts and believe he's 'unwell'. I believe he's not.

Really, I never imagined that I'd be looking to Jim Carrey - the clown actor of Ace Ventura, the man who talked out of his butt in Hollywood films - as a guru. I am. He's brilliant. I never noticed him before, but I notice him now.

Suffering has jarred him out of the illusions we all tend to cling to: identity, thought illusions, acquisition, immortality, and more. He practices transcendental meditation. Jim Carrey the actor has disappeared from the scene and been replaced by someone in the midst of a spiritual awakening. If you haven't checked out some of his talks, do. 

All is well. My knee is healing slowly and nicely. Our home is a warm, safe place where we snuggle, drink tea, talk, make love, and think about life. We're looking at homes in environmentally-conscious towns further south, where winters are short, and consciousness-raising is the norm. Reducing our consumption and giving away much of our stuff makes the thought of moving far less daunting. We'll see what the next couple of years brings.

Just 53 days until spring, beautiful people.

Barbie xo 

Popular Posts