Mughlai Cravings, ‘Hippie Masala’, Love from India, Free Pants, and More Garden Plans


I have a college friend named Galliana living in Pushkar, India, who sent me a package containing, among other things, an old pair of pants of hers that she thought I could use. They arrived two days ago: cool, floaty, Thai fishermen pants – super-baggy cotton wrap-arounds that are perfect for summer.

I just this morning figured out how to tie them on. I love them! I also love that they’re getting a second life here in the U.S. My friend follows this blog, and read my post about upcycled clothing and minimalist living. I think her response is awesome – a parcel containing some used clothes (all from India, so I’m totally down with that), Indian rusk (yum), and a pink dupatta (a lightweight Indian scarf). When I opened the package, it smelled beautifully of incense, wood rosin, and love. I’m blessed with ridiculously good friends.

This wonderful and unexpected package of gifts got me thinking about India. Then yesterday, while I was home avoiding the snow storm, I was perusing online movies when I came across a documentary film called ‘Indian Masala’.

It’s about the 1960s and 70s migration to India of thousands of people from around the world, all seeking spiritual awakening, and the few who actually remain there to this day. It’s a great story and the film boasts an awesome soundtrack. The pup and I snuggled in and watched it as the snow fell outside.

Incidentally, Pushkar is a very interesting town in India. What a coincidence that the mail brings me gifts from India one day before I find a great film about India and the hippie movement. But I think there are no coincidences: something is speaking to me about this part of the world and the possibility of visiting an old friend there.

Never mind that the snow fell hard yesterday and everything today is cold and white: plans for the 2018 gardens are in full swing. Yesterday, we received two deliveries of seeds, mostly pole beans, including a nice Italian variety called ‘Trionfo Violetto’. This is a deep purple pole bean, chock full of antioxidants, polyphenols, and flavonoids. I’m counting on them being delicious. We also received more basil, parsley, and arugula seeds. Since we succession plant these greens all summer, we stock up now.

We’ve decided to do some crop rotation this year. Tomatoes will be growing where greens once did, and vice-versa. Cucumbers will also be moving to new spots in the gardens. Soon, we’ll lay down our own compost and start tilling.

Not surprisingly, I’m hardcore craving homemade Punjabi food today. Any kind of vegan dal or Mughlai or masala dosa would do nicely. But today’s lunch is a giant homemade salad, and that’s yummy too. Soon, homemade salads will be coming straight from our gardens and not the grocery store, and that’s all good with me. 

Here comes the sun.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts