Noble Silence



I took this photo at Chaung Yen Monastery last weekend, in Kuan Yin Hall, where noble silence is practiced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The term ‘noble silence’ comes from the time of the Buddha, when the Buddha would simply remain silent when asked questions that were irrelevant or unanswerable. Buddhist monasteries have been practicing noble silence ever since.
Silent retreats within any system of faith are common. In Zen Buddhism, extended retreats of noble silence are known asSesshin’. Years ago, as a practicing Catholic, I participated in a 3-day retreat in which silence was strictly enforced.
Silence is healing, and Buddhists believe essential for deep transformation. Silence will bring us back to our center. We pay more attention to our breathing. We conserve energy, rest the senses, and realize that speech is often redundant and tiresome.

Silence comes easily for me. As my beloved husband has noted many times, I’m not a big talker. Being around people who talk a lot, or who talk loudly, make me anxious and tired. Working in silence is one of my favorite things to do. Possibly the only time I get excited about talk is when there’s really positive dialogue happening, when the vibes are good, the comradery is close, and stimulating ideas are being discussed.

I’m planning a 24-hour day of noble silence here at home soon. Just an ordinary day free of the weight of speech. Does anyone want to join me? We don’t have to be together to do it: we can do it with each other, but remotely. Email me!

Barbie xo

Popular Posts