Baby Papaya Trees, Lemongrass, Amaryllis, Clivia, and a Warm Start to November

Two new amaryllis bulbs planted up: Elvas is a double petal pink and white, and Black Pearl is the deepest single petal red.

The lemongrass stalks have rooted nicely, and were potted up this weekend.

A Martha Washington geranium that my mom was going to compost is now living in a sunny window in our house. Here it is getting a drink in the sink.

Two cybister amaryllis are scheduled to arrive today from California. That will be it for new amaryllis bulbs this season. I always buy a few too many. I just get so stoked about amaryllis. I’ve potted up an amaryllis for my mom, and one for my mother-in-law. This is an annual tradition. They both enjoy watching the bulbs sprout and eventually bloom.

I’ve also planted two very large amaryllis together in a basket. Elvas is a double petal pink and white, and Black Pearl is the deepest single petal red. I hope they grow simultaneously and bloom near or at the same time. I plan to pollinate them to each other and collect the seeds.

The New Hope Clivia went into the garage this weekend to go dormant. It will get no water, warmth, or light now. In eight weeks, I’ll pull it out, place it in a bright, warm window, and give it a deep watering and a feeding of a balanced fertilizer. A scape should emerge, and this beauty should bloom. An orange clivia is coming from Ohio soon. I’m so glad to be back cultivating clivia. Why did I stay away for so long?

The lemongrass stalks rooted nicely in water, and I planted them up in small pots. And a gorgeous pink Martha Washington geranium that my mom was going to toss away is now in a sunny window in our home. It was in full bloom and very healthy when she said it was time to compost it. I wasted no time in taking it in.

Interestingly, some of the papaya seeds have germinated. I just tossed them in some soil and placed the pot under the grow lights. I really didn’t expect anything, then yesterday, I found two seedlings had popped up.

My husband noticed yesterday that the Meyer lemon tree is looking pretty sad. I’m going to fight to the death to keep it viable until next summer. I absolutely don’t want to lose this beautiful tree. My mom gave it to me and that makes it even more special to my heart. I’m doing all the right things, but it’s still petering out.

We have a couple of 70-degree days in the forecast this week! Tomorrow is November 1. I’ll take Indian summer all November. Or all winter if you please.

Live in peace.

Popular Posts