Spring Citrus Juice Cleanse

We’ve just sprouted broccoli seeds for fresh sprouts for eating. I’m taking some of these sprouts and planting them in the food garden now, in February, just to see what happens. We’ve never grown broccoli, but I know it’s a cold-weather-loving plant that takes some time to mature. If the ground is not frozen, I’ll pop a row of these sprouts into the garden this weekend.

We’re inching toward spring, and that means spring cleaning. Not the house, but the body. It’s been a long winter punctuated with lots of food, particularly starchy food, and too much plant fat. We’ve spent too many nights curled up on the couch in front of the fireplace, not moving, and grazing. I’m not going to lie and say that I didn’t enjoy every minute of it, but the body doesn’t lie. I feel sluggish and weighed down. It’s time to cleanse.

I found a simple juice fast that I’m going to try, first for one day, and if I like it, I’ll take it further. You Tuber ‘LifeRegenerator’ – a cool dude named Dan who’s living the barefoot life in Kauai – is a self-taught nutritionist with great vibes and great ideas. He promotes raw vegan living and lots of fresh fruit juices. His simple recipe for an effective cleanse looks good. And two friends agreed to do at least the one-day fast with me.

For one serving, juice, in their entirety, one organic grapefruit, one organic orange, and one organic lemon. Pour the juice in a large glass (a quart-sized jar is perfect), and top off with fresh water. Drink as much of this as you can all day. I plan to make the undiluted juice from several grapefruit, oranges, and lemons, store in the fridge, and add it to water all day.
No magic here. Citrus is a potent internal cleanser that cuts mucus and purges toxins. It makes great juice for end-of-winter deep cleansing.

Dan is another You Tuber who lives an epic life. He’s 42, kicking it in Hawaii, devouring books on holistic nutrition, veganism, raw foods, herbalism, and Buddhism, showering outside, swimming in the ocean, growing food, learning, growing, evolving, meditating, practicing peace. He goes everywhere barefoot (I would too if it weren’t for winter), washes his hair with herbs, and fasts regularly. He dropped out of the insanity we call life. Just split. He’s never been happier or healthier.

My husband agrees to Hawaii. We both have obligations here, but once those change, we’re bouncing out of the Northeastern U.S. It’s been a great run, but it’s  time to choose new goals, go easier on our bodies, sell our stuff, simplify everything, stretch out on the sand, and grow papaya. You may call me a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. It’s going to happen.

Live in peace.

Popular Posts