Beautiful Wayuu Bags – Woven Art from Columbia



I’ve always been drawn to mochilas - also called Wayuu mochilas - Columbian-made rucksack-type purses for men and women that are hand-woven by indigenous people, usually women, using traditional weaving techniques as old as the Wayuu culture from which they emerged.

I’ve always wanted just one Wayuu bag. But it takes 30 days or more for one artist to weave the bag, and they are generally pricey. This, however, is my lucky year. My birthday is coming, and someone who obviously loves me has offered to have one made. I’m beyond psyched. It will be 4 to 6 weeks before it’s ready.

I often carry a purse or rucksack when I’m out and about, and nearly two years ago, when I went vegan (my 2-year anniversary in June 2!), I began giving away purses I had that were made of leather or wool, or manufactured in China or Third-World countries under suspected or confirmed sweatshop conditions. I’ve needed a good vegan purse for a while.

There are important differences between a genuine mochila and a counterfeit, or a commercially-made mainstream vegan product. A genuine mochila is made by one indigenous artist, using locally-sourced natural fibers, who is paid a fair wage, is free from the tyranny of a factory job, and who works from home and therefore can be with his or her children - thus producing a vegan, cruelty-free, fair-trade, family-friendly, artist-empowering, and completely unique piece of functioning art.

The mochila I chose will be made in a small village in Columbia called Uribia. Its Wayuu patterns and form will be left up to the maker: I’m curious what colors and style he or she will choose.

What a wonderful gift. I’m excited and incredibly grateful. It may take two months to get here, but good things are always worth the wait.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts