If Vaginas Horrify You, Stop Reading This



Gwyneth Paltrow dismayed the world when, a few years ago, she promoted the ancient practice of vaginal steaming. The response was a full-on public outcry. Hateful comments flowed, and I remember them well. Misogynists – both male and female – trotted out their venom.

Paltrow is a has-been, they said – a middle-aged woman (because it’s a personal failure to exceed the age of 30, yes?) seeking attention by any means possible. They called her a nut, a slut, a feminist (on no!), a hippie, a yuppie, a loser, an entitled white woman, and a letdown as a human being. The vitriol was positively disturbing.

Confession: I love and have always loved Gwyneth Paltrow, and I cannot for the life of me see the bad that others say is in her. She’s smart, hip, progressive, kind, elevated, and a gifted actress. I’m her biggest fan, and possibly the only one left standing. ‘Conscious uncoupling’ is a great idea. More people should practice it – there would be fewer hostile exes in the world, and we could all benefit from that.

To be frank, I believe the fury that Paltrow haters unleashed on her over yoni steaming and conscious uncoupling is just an expression of self-contempt, fear, and sexist prejudice. I find it very, very tiresome.

But let's talk vaginas. Specifically, vaginal steaming. Also called yoni steaming (‘yoni’ from the Sanskrit word for ‘sacred space’) is an ancient Mayan and Asian form of personal hygiene and energy clearing that went unnoticed by most until Paltrow brought it out into the light, where it belongs.

For some reason, just mentioning yoni steaming to some people sets their teeth on edge. They cringe, jeer, label, and mock. In my mind, there’s no doubt whatsoever that this response comes from our own fears, biases, and self-loathing. Freeing oneself from such a prison requires the kind of deep self-work that I can’t help anyone with, so I’m just going to mention it and move on.

There’s not much to yoni steaming: cleansing herbs (I use rosemary, red clover, and lavender) are added to boiling water, and steeped just like tea. Then you just sit or crouch over the slightly cooled water, and let the healing steam clean and purify your body.

Vaginal health matters. Spiritual health matters. Yoni steaming ministers to both. And if you have a vagina, you ought to try it.

Here’s some of its benefits: yoni steaming disperses the stagnation of energy that often leads to menstrual cramping and irregular periods that plague many women; it moistens and relaxes the uterus, making orgasm easier and most intense; it ministers to the root chakra, producing an energy uptick that even deep meditation can’t top; it cleanses the vagina at the end of menstruation; it raises the female vibration; and it offers an energetic release from past sexual partners.

Always use pure distilled water – never tap water – and certified organic herbs for yoni steaming. Frequency is a matter of taste, but there is such a thing as too often. I steam once my period ends.  Some steam before and after their menstrual cycles, and that’s fine too. Do not steam when you’re on your period, or when you’re pregnant, or if you’re trying to get pregnant. Also, if you have an IUD, ask your doctor if steaming is safe. And definitely don’t steam if you have an infection.

Part of this is pivoting our minds into a positive way of thinking about the female body. My husband looked at me sideways when I first told him a few years ago that I practice yoni steaming. Now, he prepares the herbal infusion for me. He’s always relived when my period ends: the pain is done, the body is recovering, and the grumpiness subsides. He also knows that the fun house is open for fun again. Just saying.

I’ve never had a vaginal or yeast infection, ever. I credit my mother for this. A registered nurse of the Old School, she taught her only daughter about personal hygiene and the importance of that sacred space between my legs. She taught me about oral health and kept me in orthopedic shoes. The reward for this love she gave me is a great set of healthy, straight teeth; smooth, callous-free and pain-free feet; and a healthy, happy vagina that rocks. Thanks, Mom.

Still disturbed or disgusted by yoni steaming? I don’t know what to tell you – I can’t help you. To everyone else, I say take good care of the V. The vagina is a seat of power in so many ways. Honor it. Keep it clean and comfortable, healthy and happy, and it will reward you with years of pleasure and contentment.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts