Veggies are In, Birds are Here, Prosperity Prayers, and Baba Ghanoush


The vegetable garden is in the ground, yay!

Last night, we planted three kinds of heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, tomatillos, oriental eggplant, cucumbers, string beans, two kinds of summer squash, cantaloupe, and watermelon.

The greens bed is growing; lettuces are moving fast, followed up with young kale. Arugula and dandelion are germinating very slowly (hmmm...grrrrr). Pots of basil are shooting up, and Italian parsley is doing its thing. We even have two baby mango trees sprouting. The peach trees already have pink flowers all over them, and the apple trees are greening up.

Tonight, I’m planting the beet seeds.

The compost pile is cooking, too. Steam is visible, a sure sign that elements are breaking down and will become black gold before long.

And…a pretty sparrow couple have made a nest in the birdhouse! My husband first noticed them about two weeks ago. They’re busy building a home for their babies. I put some shelled, raw sunflower seeds out for them yesterday. I love them!

My husband also saw a red fox in the backyard last week. A very powerful medium once told me that the red fox is my totem animal, and that one is always right by my shoulder. So I’m totally cool with our beautiful fox friend.

And one month from today, I start the 6-month Shin Buddhism intensive with the New England Institute of Buddhist Studies, at Wesleyan University, my alma mater. So psyched.

Warm weather arrived quickly and assertively here. We are in the 80s now, with evenings in the 40s and 50s. And it looks like it’s going to stay warm. With the 1,000 pounds of manure we put in the garden bed last weekend, and the new irrigation system in place, I think this is going to be a great growing season. 

We planned this one extra carefully, and got seeds going in the house super early, while there was still snow outside. It’s paid off so far: last night, we put ready-to-go plants into the garden bed. It’s an early start for a New England food garden.

Can’t wait for the buckets-full of fresh veggies this summer! Both our mothers have already put in their ‘orders’ (LOL). My husband looks forward to bowls of yellow squash, and I’m saying prosperity blessings over the eggplant. I LOVE homemade baba ghanoush. 

Here’s my recipe, which serves about 4 lucky people:

1 large purple eggplant, skinned, sliced thinly, slowly blackened on the grill, and cooled

4 tablespoons tahini

3 garlic cloves, minced

Pinch ground cumin

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I use California Olive Ranch)

1 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

½ cup pitted Kalamata olives

In a food processor, blend everything except the olives. Place in a bowl, and make a well in the center. Place the olives in the well, and drizzle all with a little more olive oil. Serve with whole wheat pita bread wedges. Don’t forget to compost the scraps.

Homemade baba ghanoush is among my favorite summer foods, along with fresh, homegrown watermelon, tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, mint with everything, corn on the cob, sun tea, fresh tulsi tea, and toasted vegan marshmallows.

It’s not technically summer yet, but it feels like it, and I’m grateful. I’m eternally grateful.

Namaste.


Popular Posts