Dinacharya: As Without, So Within


I’m getting deeper into Ayurvedic hygiene. A little history: before I’d ever heard the word ‘Ayurveda’, I was using Ayurvedic practices taught to me by my parents, from the time I was still in their arms. A registered nurse, my mom understood the importance of personal hygiene as a path to good health, both physically and mentally.

She had strict rules for herself and her children, as did my dad. Oral hygiene and foot care were dad’s concerns above all. He didn’t pinch pennies on our shoes, and accompanied us to the shoe store to buy them. There, he would crouch down and feel for our toes at the tips of the shoes, check for adequate width, and look inside the shoes for the best arch support. He said over and over that if our feet were well cared for in our youth, we would be grateful for it in adulthood and old age. He was right.

Tooth brushing always included vigorous tongue brushing. This is straight from the Ayurveda practice of daily tongue scraping. Dad taught us to use baking soda to clean our teeth, which I still do today. He said if we took good care of our teeth and feet, it would make our lives easier in the long run. Totally correct.

Mom advocated for total body cleansing each morning; hair, face, and body. She trained herself, and her children, to eliminate every morning. She never used public bathrooms, and to this day, I only and infrequently use public bathrooms to pee. And I’m a member of the tribe that covers the seat with toilet paper, washes hands thoroughly afterward, and uses my sleeve-covered hand to open and close doors. Let’s be real about this: public bathrooms are downright gnarly.

Dad taught us to drink lemon water in the morning. He instructed us to eat meals when we’re hungry, and to not overburden the stomach by grazing all day long. He didn’t believe in many small meals throughout the day. He also warned against eating late at night. Let the stomach rest and stand empty, and let it rest through the night. And he despised the idea of consuming animals. Again, he was spot on, and Ayurvedic.

There was a lot more to their teachings. But you get it: my parents were ayurvedic without even knowing it. And the things they taught have served me well. I have healthy, pain-free feet with no deformities or calluses, and they’re soft, comfortable, and good looking. My dentist praises my oral hygiene: my teeth are healthy and straight. I have no stomach or GI troubles. No problems with seasonal allergies. I sleep well. Never ate meat, and now, I’m completely plant-based. Dad frowned upon people who drink alcohol regularly. I drink very, very rarely, and then, never to excess. Alcoholism is a devastating addiction that's easy to develop.

All this is attributable to two things: what my parents taught me, and what I adopted myself later. Now, my morning routine - my ‘dinacharya’ (this common word in Ayurveda means ‘daily routine’) - includes all the things my mom and dad taught, plus the use of a neti pot, dry brushing, pure water drinking, exfoliating, shaving, ear cleaning, and oil pulling. And yes, it all takes time, and it’s totally worth it. I start the day comfortable in my skin, having rid this body of as much dirt, waste, and toxins as possible.

For me, it’s more about being comfy in my body and honoring its auspiciousness than it is maintaining good health. Illness can come out of nowhere and broadside any of us at any time, no matter how careful we’ve been. But everyday cleanliness and comfort is easy and available to us all. A healthy, clean body contributes to a healthy, clear mind. As without, so within: Ayurveda understands that.

But now, I’m looking even deeper into Ayurvedic hygiene. The traditional herbs of India, used in Ayurveda, have been out of my reach. Yes, I’ve used ginger for bathing, turmeric for the skin, and alma for the hair. But there’s an array of herbs used in Ayurveda that I’m interested in exploring. Trouble is, it’s hard to find good instruction in Ayurveda, and as far as I can tell, one must travel to India for any certification in Ayurvedic practice. It’s not available in the U.S. If I’m wrong about that, let me know.

So, I’m heading to the library this weekend to do some information gathering. There’s plenty of information online, but I still turn to books as more accurate sources of information. There’s too much recklessness and unreliability on the Internet.

I want to explore the possibility of incorporating Ayurveda into a vegan diet. I’m interested in Ayurvedic fasting. I’d like to learn more about diet and hygiene as it relates to my own Dosha, which leans strongly toward Vatta, with good measure of Kapha.

The more I consider Ayurveda as a comprehensive practice, the more practical application I see there. It makes sense that good spiritual health flows from good diet and hygiene, from a body that’s well cared for and comfortable to be in. Body and spirit - for now, in this incarnation, the two are linked. To care for one is to care for the other.

Much love,
Barbie xo

Popular Posts