Homegrown Citrus and Sweet Shamatha


Just want to show you some of the gorgeous limes and Meyer lemons we gathered from our indoor trees last weekend. They were a long time coming: it took all summer and most of autumn to produce them. Last night for dinner, I made spicy kachumbar with fresh lime juice. I’m thinking of making limeade with the rest. And that will do it for the citrus trees this season.

We resigned our papaya tree to the compost pile yesterday. It was slowly dying. I don’t know what went wrong; I think next, I’ll try growing one fully indoors. There’s one thing for sure: tropicals don’t like being brought indoors after a warm, wonderful summer in the sun.
As soon as we brought this beautiful tree in the house, it started to show signs of stress. 

Leaves shriveled, browned and dropped, starting at the bottom, and this sadness traveled all the way to the crown. My husband handed it to me through a large window yesterday and I brought it to the compost pile, but not before thanking it for making summer wonderful. That tree was my pride and joy.

I’ve been jamming to The Youngbloods all day today. Their big hit, released way back in 1967, was ‘Get Together’. That song always sends me into a sweet state of shamatha – calm abiding - a warm, mellow, loving mood. Awesome.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts