In Lieu of Gardens, We Have Movies, Hot Chai, Rosemary Sprigs, a New Jun Scoby, an Old Sprouting Method, and a Muppy Gone to Heaven


In lieu of garden activity, I’ve been rediscovering some of my all-time favorite movies and have really been enjoying them. These are not my cerebral documentaries that teach. I hold those films in the highest regard. This list of favorites is diverse and in looking at it, surprises even me. Here’s what I’ve been indulging in this month.

‘All the President’s Men’ is the favorite film of virtually every journalist I know, and I’m no exception. Besides being a great story on the Watergate scandal, it’s a look at a classic newsroom of old, with the thrum of electric typewriters in the background, cranky but brilliant managing news editors, and copy boys racing against deadlines. Robert Redford was in his prime in this film. I’ve always been crazy for him. For me, this film has it all. Love it.

‘The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane’ is a little-known 1976 film starring Jodi Foster. It’s a creepy story about a small village with a child molester on the prowl. This film has all the throwback nostalgia I love: rotary telephones, bell bottom corduroys, and mustard-colored kitchens. It has tea too. It also has an awesome soundtrack – Chopin’s piano concertos. Perfect.

‘Panic Room’ is another Jodi Foster film that’s among my favorites. Another great story well told, and it takes place in Manhattan, in my favorite city in the world, and in a gorgeous renovated brownstone, my city dream home. It doesn’t matter how many times I watch this one, the suspense always grabs me.

‘Bad Santa’ is a bawdy holiday film starring Billy Bob Thornton (one of my favorite actors). As cheap and dirty as the jokes are, I have to admit that I laugh out loud every time I watch it. The movie is full of super-quick reaction shots that are in themselves hilarious. In contrast, its sequel, ‘Bad Santa 2’, is just an appalling, awful film. Skip the sequel.

‘Juliette of the Herbs’ has long been one of my favorite biographical documentaries. The story of the life of herbalist Juliette de Bairacli Levy, ‘Juliette of the Herbs’ is a low-budget but wonderfully made film that inspired me, years ago, to explore herbalism, holistic animal care, and eventually, Ayurveda.

I’m definitely a member of the ‘Grey Gardens’ fan club. ‘Grey Gardens’ is a wonderfully-odd 1970s documentary by the famous Maysles brothers, another low-budget bit that became a huge cult success. Again, the background is New York, and the Long Island accents are thick, so I love it. More rotary phones too.

‘A Night at the Opera’ starring the Marx Brothers will never get old. In fact, the Marx Brothers never get old. Even Zeppo makes me laugh.

‘March of the Wooden Soldiers’ starring Charlotte Henry as Bo Peep and Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy will always and forever be my favorite holiday movie. The film was made way back in 1934, in black and white, and with all the best special effects of the time (which means that today we laugh at them). It’s probably because I grew up watching this movie in endless reruns each Christmas, but watching it today just makes me feel happy.

‘Hannah and Her Sisters’ is hands-down my favorite Woody Allen movie. Guess where it takes place – New York City! – and it’s another good story buoyed by great actors and great directing. I think it was made in or around 1986; many of the scenes were filmed in Mia Farrow’s Manhattan apartment. I discovered the poetry of e.e. cummings with this movie. Everything about it is good.

So, these are the films I’ve been binging on lately. My husband and I snuggle on the couch and he endures another viewing of one of them. In return, I make him food. He makes me hot chai. It’s not as good as getting dirty in the gardens, but it’ll do until spring. I have no complaints.

Our first jun scoby is ready, and it’s fat and happy. I’m thrilled with how well it turned out. I think jun will be replacing kombucha as my favorite fermented drink. I tossed out that pricey sprouting tray I bought last year (the emerging sprouts kept getting clogged in the screen), and have returned to the old school method of sprouting in mason jars. Some things can’t be improved on.

I snipped a sprig of rosemary from the garden and it unexpectedly rooted in water. I’m waiting for a simple ceramic pot I ordered from Ikea and will plant it in that and keep it in the kitchen. We may have an indoor-acclimated young rosemary plant this winter. Amazing good luck.

Some sad news from the homestead. Our beautiful boy Buddy died last Friday. His poor old body became a casualty of age. He could barely walk, he fell down the stairs over and over, all his teeth had decayed and fallen out, tumors were growing over his body, and he’d become incontinent. Still, with all that, it’s never an easy choice. At 1 p.m. on Friday, my brave husband brought Buddy to the vet. The doctor said that Buddy had a good, long life, but it’s never long enough.

Buddy’s suffering is over, alleluia. But now, it’s our turn to suffer as we instinctively look around us for the gentle, sweet dog who isn’t coming home. Love you always, my darling muppy.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts