Aphids, the bugs I love to hate

Aphids have obliterated the dahlia bulbs under the lights, seemingly overnight. No plant photos, they're too gross. So I brought the plants into the shower with me, gave them a good wash, sprayed with soapy water, and cut them back to the soil (discarded leaves deep in the woods, NOT near the compost pile). Now they're outside in the fresh air & sun; hopefully, they'll make a comeback.
This is the thing about indoor gardening & certain varieties of plants that are prone to aphids. I suspect the bulbs came with the little critters already on board (cheap bulbs). Aphids are tough to fight back, but it's worth a try.
Good news: I planted some GOOD quality dahlias right into the garden this afternoon! So no worries. They'll be plenty of cutting flowers this summer.

Popular Posts