Cucumber Craziness

One of the easiest ways to use the windfall of garden cucumbers is to make cucumber water every day. Here’s my bottle for today.

This avalanche of garden cucumbers has been wonderful, and challenging. We’ve been giving away lots, but would like to enjoy them ourselves. But cucumber salads are getting a little old. Last night, my husband, who waits all year for the garden cucumbers, said ‘no’ to another salad.

So I tried a vegan, no-cook, cold cucumber soup recipe that has helped solve the problem. It’s refreshing and light, and includes the best summer flavors of dill and mint. I would definitely take a chilled thermos of this with me if I was traveling on a hot day.

Vegan, No-Cook, Cold Cucumber Soup
2 large cucumbers or 4 small, peeled, seeded, and diced
1-1/3 cups nut milk
1-1/3 cups plain coconut milk yogurt
1 cup veggie broth
1 clove garlic, minced, ½ cup chopped fresh mint
½ cup chopped fresh dill

Combine everything in a blender at high speed until completely smooth. Chill for 2 hours before serving. Serving this in a bread bowl makes it a meal.

One of the easiest ways to use the windfall of garden cucumbers is to make cucumber water every day. I’ve found that you have to make it fresh daily. Cukes that sit in refrigerated water for more than about 18 hours start getting filmy and gross. I’d love to keep a jug of water with cucumber slices in the fridge, but it doesn’t work, unless you infuse the water for a few hours and then remove the cukes. Even then, it’s advisable to drink it up within a couple of days.

My husband is looking at houses in warmer climes. I’m totally behind the idea. Last night he showed me a bunch of houses he thought we’d like. Two of them really grabbed me. The first thing that grabbed me was the palm trees. God, I’d love to live with palm trees. One house in particular has a uniquely beautiful stone deck that looks out over the land. Just green all the way to the sky.

“You could do yoga there every morning,” he said. “You could take your coffee, do your yoga there, and look at that view instead of fooling around on the computer.”

I looked at the deck, and placed myself there in sun salutation. He was so right; that would be a much better way to spend mornings. So today, I’m thinking about that view. I’m thinking about mornings in quietude, touching the sky. And I’m thinking about the lush beauty of tropical gardens, which are so easy to maintain and so productive. I’m thinking of those palm trees.

We’ve both had a good run in New England, and we’re both ready for new scenery. And we agree that we want to go where snow never falls, where fruit trees never sleep, where clothing is light, and where the views are clear.

So of course, last night, I dreamed of this house with the palm trees outside and the view of the sky. When I woke, I realized that it’s truly what we need: a new canvas on which to create our lives.

In the meantime, cucumbers. This weekend, I’m going to make those easy pickled cukes. Cucumber soup, cucumber water, cucumber salads, pickled cucumbers, and even a vegan tzatziki.

Live in peace.

Popular Posts