Tahitian Lime Tree, and Red Curry at Jiā Mei

The new Tahitian lime tree (left) is keeping our Meyer lemon tree company now

Beautiful Cherokee Purple tomatoes we pulled from the garden this weekend!

A fragrant gardenia in the courtyard at Van Wilgens

I realize it’s odd that I welcome the arrival of a new plant in the way others welcome the birth of children. Let’s just roll with it.

I acquired a Tahitian lime tree this weekend! It’s a beauty, very healthy, lots of new growth, no sign of disease. It’s a young tree, only about 2 feet tall. Tahitian lime is also called Persian lime, or the Bearss lime. The limes are about 3 inches wide that start green and lighten to a bright lime hue as they ripen on the tree.

I potted it in good, loose soil with some extra ammonium sulfate added and placed it next to the Meyer lemon tree. It has about a month and a half, maybe two, in the outdoors before I have to begin acclimating both trees to the indoors for winter.

Today is August 1. Summer is whizzing by. In spite of every effort to keep the food garden neat and controlled, it has spread its wings and taken over. We’re having a tough time finding food under all the growth.

This week, I have to just get on my hands and knees with a flashlight and go veggie hunting. The watermelon vines are taking over land beyond the garden. I think it is this insane fish emulsion I applied in early summer coupled with the consistently hot, sunny weather. Still waiting for those watermelons, though.

I visited my second-favorite garden center in Connecticut this weekend: Van Wilgens in North Branford. There, I stood in the courtyard of blooming gardenia and just breathed deeply. There is nothing like the fragrance of gardenia.

I’ve never had success with growing gardenia. I’ve tried many, many times. The plants always yellow and die. I supplement with iron, and they still yellow and die. I keep the room humid, and they still die. From the moment I bring them home, they start to die.

As much as I would sacrifice my ultimate dream of being a mermaid in order to keep a healthy gardenia, I faced facts years ago. I will never keep a gardenia alive. It’s the tragedy of my life. But at least I have the courtyard to visit.

Found a fabulous new Thai restaurant this weekend too. Jiā Mei in Madison, Connecticut, makes a yummy Vegan Thai red curry with rice. Generous portion, fresh, crunchy veggies, spicy-hot curry with creamy coconut milk, perfectly steamed rice, and a reasonable price for upscale Madison. Their veggie spring rolls are the best I’ve had in Connecticut. And they have take-out. My Mom and I hogged it all.

The World Peace Diet has been a slow read for the simple reason that I don’t want to rush this book. There is so much good on every little page, I’m giving myself time to absorb it all and take notes along the way. The whole book is just one long, life-changing thought on compassionate eating. The writing is a little lofty but clear; the chapters are short and precise.

My husband and I spent a great day together yesterday, but about an hour before bedtime, I excused myself and escaped into the bedroom to read. He knows that I’ve found a book that I need to be alone with. This one has become very dear to me.

Live in peace.

Popular Posts