Hello, October


I wanted to show you what is likely the last bouquet from our flower gardens, collected yesterday, October 1. Cosmos and zinnias are always late arrivals in the flower gardens. This works for me. Their bright colors cheer us up as cold weather approaches. They really are the last breath of summer in the gardens.

This weekend, we pulled in all the outdoor potted plants, save for some potted succulents that will winter outdoors. They always survive winter somehow, peeking through again in spring and blooming by July. We placed the lemon and papaya trees in the large window in the living room, and aimed our new, 36-watt, LED, full-spectrum plant light directly at the papaya tree.

I’ve already braced myself for the demise of our gorgeous lemon tree, which is now covered with lemons. I haven’t been able to keep a citrus alive indoors in years. But I have hopes for this amazing papaya tree, which is nearing six feet tall now. Hard to believe it was a 3-inch-tall sapling when we got it in late spring. Cross your fingers.


Next weekend, we’ll be razing the flower beds to nearly the ground, and pruning the Basjoo banana tree before mulching it heavily. The last garden chore after that will be to harvest our Okinawa sweet potatoes, probably sometime in November. The potato patch is looking great, so I’m psyched for some of our homegrown Okinawas this fall.

I did some cleaning up in the garden shed too. Once it snows, I’m never in there. Come spring, I’d like it to be clean and clear for chores and seed planting. I also cleaned our large bird feeder, and soon, it will be filled with food for the beautiful birds that live here. And the squirrels. The squirrels never forget to get their share. My husband and I enjoy bird feeding in winter. It’s wonderful to watch songbirds come and go, filling their little tummies to get them through the hard winter.

I’ve expanded my Ayurvedic practice to eye care now. I bought a glass eye cup, Ayurvedic eye wash, and herbal Ayurvedic eye drops from India. Step by step, I’m replacing every aspect of my personal hygiene routine with ayurvedic treatments designed for my dominant dosha.

I’m getting comfortable with the new feels, fragrances, and flavors. I’m learning what’s legit Ayurveda and what’s not. I’ve given away unopened commercial products that I used for years, and am learning more each day about the scope of Ayurveda. It’s a beautiful, spiritual practice. This winter is going to be one of learning.

Much love,
Barbie xo

Popular Posts