Transformation Through Compassion - the Essence of the Lotus Sutra


The Lotus Sutra has long been among my favorites of Buddhist sacred scripture. Yesterday and last night, I was reading the Chinese translation of this sutra. I’ve read the Lotus Sutra many times in its Sanskrit translation, ‘Saddharma-pundarika-sutra’ (the ‘True Dharma Flower Sutra’). Sanskrit is the language in which this sutra was originally written. The Chinese texts didn’t interest me much until recently, when I found Venerable Cheng Kuan’s translation.

Every time I look at the Lotus Sutra, it’s different. But the message contained in this favorite scripture of mine is always the same. The text is concerned with flowering – lotus – or the blossoming of all sentient beings into Buddhahood.

In it, Shakyamuni speaks of the ultimate truth of life, of which he was enlightened: Buddhahood - the supreme state of existence of which all Buddhists strive - is characterized by compassion first, then wisdom, and courage.

Compassion comes first. When we practice compassion, yes, we transform those around us, but we transform even more deeply ourselves. When we live in compassion – harming none, harboring no anger, taking no revenge, speaking in kindness, forgiving all – we are utterly transformed. And I believe that wisdom and courage are the natural and abundant fruits of compassion practice.

The Lotus Sutra teaches that Buddhhahood is inherent within every one of us regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, social status, or intellectual ability. Think of it as something precious locked away in a safe inside all of us: Shakyamuni’s teachings and compassion practice are the keys to freeing this precious thing, bringing it into the light, and into use.

The Lotus Sutra is a teaching of empowerment. We can transform ourselves, realize our infinite potential, and live in and grant to all sentient beings the dignity that’s inherent to all life. The way is open for all sentient beings to awaken to their Buddha Nature.

I want to share a few late-season garden reports. The tomato patch, which was cleared last month, is now a carpet of young Thai pink egg tomato plants. This happens when ripe tomatoes fall to the ground and decompose and the seeds germinate. It killed me, but my husband took the tractor yesterday and razed all but a few to the soil line. The few he didn’t flatten I dug up and potted. I just want to see if I can grow some tomatoes indoors this winter. I doubt it, but I won’t know until I try.

For dinner last night, I made a yummy kaeng phet - a Thai curry with lime leaves, mango, and tofu. The star of the dish was our own garden Thai Burapa peppers (remember those seeds I had imported last winter?), which made the curry spicy hot and really pretty. Long, bright red pods swimming in coconut milk and spices. It was served with brown rice, and It was awesome.


The birds and squirrels have found our bird and nut feeders. Over the weekend, we enjoyed watching the songbirds fly to and fro, grabbing sunflower seeds, disappearing for a minute, then coming back for more. We’re on our way.

Barbie xo

Popular Posts