Losar Begins, and Kale, Arugula, Lettuce, and Spinach Seeds are on Their Way!


This week, I ordered the very first seeds for the 2018 greens gardens. I'm so impossibly psyched. It's only February 15, but who cares? Planting time is right around the corner.

I ordered four varieties of cold-weather-loving veggies from Seeds from Italy:
  • Merlo Nero spinach
  • Organic rucola (arugula)
  • Cavolo Nero (also known as Lacinato) kale
  • Lingua di Canarino lettuce
Lingua di Canarino ('Canary Tongue') is a lettuce I've never grown before. It looks and sounds interesting and delicious, plus, it's slow to bolt, which is a huge asset. Like all lettuces, it's an easy grower that loves cool weather.

We'll be planting the greens beds in a different spot this year, where there is even more shade. These greens really do better - particularly in summer - with as little direct sun as possible.

Yesterday was Valentine's Day. My amazing, wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime husband made the day super special. A bouquet of lilies, daisies, and red roses was delivered to my office in the morning. He chose daisies for our beautiful Daisy (who died in 2014), and lilies for our awesome Lily, who is alive and well. How thoughtful and beautiful.


Then, when I arrived home all tired and premenstrual, there was a big (2.2-pound) box of chocolates waiting. Chocolate is what the doctor ordered this time of the month. My husband in turn returned home from work to a big roast in the crockpot (his favorite), simmering with potatoes, onions, and carrots. He feasted on roast beef, and I nibbled chocolate. A win. We're so blessed to have each other, and I'm overflowing with gratitude.

I also got a new mehndi on my left inner forearm yesterday. A very talented friend did the artwork. I love it.

Tomorrow, Losar begins. Tibetan new year is a joyful time for us. In the morning, my husband will get up early and fetch rain or well water for us - our first water (chupu) of the new year. In the evening, I'll make droma dresil with rice, raisins, apples, coconut sugar, and droma. On Saturday, I'll make sweet barley flour bread - some for the Buddha, and some for us. Losar is a time for sweets of all kinds. Candles will burn at our cho-shun (altar) all weekend.

Tashi Delek
Barbie xo

Popular Posts