Summoning Summer Spirits


A quick post from the homestead. Today is February 1, and next month, blessed spring arrives. Last night, my husband and I were talking gardens and our boat. It was 17 degrees outside, but we were summoning the spirits of summer.

Despite this knee injury - which has sidelined me from all the winter activities I enjoy - it's been a fun and fascinating season. All kinds of changes are afoot. We are looking at homes in the southern reaches of the U.S., where winter is nothing more than a mystery wrapped in an enigma. 

For my husband, humidity and extreme heat is unpleasant. For me, the hotter the better. Still, we're looking as far south as the Keys. We won't be budging for at least another year, but we intend to make this our last home together, and we hope to get it right. He's a Connecticut native, and I came here from New York City to attend Wesleyan University, then never left. We're both anxious to be somewhere else - hopefully, a vortex town - and meet new and beautiful people.

I'm slowly adapting to a partly raw diet. I doubt I'll give up cooked food entirely, but this summer, I plan to go completely raw for at least a month. Raw in summer is easier than raw in winter. I'm liking the raw philosophy of no food produced at above 115 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm following the raw food teachings of Matt Monarch and the Raw Food World, and continuing with Ayurveda. My hair growth has gone insane. We're drinking our own home-distilled water daily, and getting lots of sleep. 

On March 20, winter will be officially over. And although there will likely be snow on the ground, it will be time to start planning the greens beds. We'll put out the Thai spirit house to home the spirits of all the squirrels our bloodthirsty pup assassinated this winter, and on the first sunny day, a jar of sun-brewed tea will welcome the beautiful days and warmer seasons. All is well. 

Barbie xo


Popular Posts