Starting the Banana Trees!


The Thailand Black Stem banana seeds arrived yesterday! After a quick examination of the 10 small grape-sized, hard-as-steel seeds, I placed them in a bowl of warm spring water to soak for a few days.

The Thailand Black Stem banana seeds arrived yesterday! I was ridiculously excited. After a quick examination of the 10 small grape-sized, hard-as-steel seeds, I placed them in a bowl of warm spring water to soak for a few days.

The instructions say to soak the seeds for 24 hours before planting. I know this won’t be enough. These seeds are very, very thick skinned. On Sunday, I’ll plant them up in a light, well-draining soil, and place them on a heat mat for germination.

It looks like the young banana trees will arrive today. I’m a bit anxious about what kind of shape they’ll be in. I may be deep into damage control for several weeks. Today, I’m visiting the local nursery for some fresh potting soil and pots. Cross your fingers. What an adventure!

Last night, we brought all the citrus into the house for winter. The nights are too cold now for citrus to survive. So I’m bracing myself for the leaf drop that will happen once the citrus realize that summer is over. It looks like the lime tree is free from mealybugs, but I’ll spray it a few more times for good measure. The lemons on the lemon tree might not come to maturity in the house. We may have to take the loss. I just hope they’ll all survive winter in the house.

Today’s lunch is a toasted tomato sandwich using one of the last vine-ripe tomatoes from the food garden. Sad times. There’s several green tomatoes still, but they’ll probably not ripen up on the plants. I’ll likely bring them indoors to ‘ripen’. It’s a poor substitute for still-warm-from-the-sun, vine-ripened tomatoes. I’ll soon be counting down the days until next summer.

My husband’s birthday is this weekend, so we have lots of fun plans. Looking forward to some fellowship with family and friends, time on the boat, good food, and his very special birthday cake.

Live in peace.

Popular Posts