Scalp Detox, Henna, Sideways Snow, and a Free Juice

Tomorrow is my bi-monthly visit to Foodworks, on the Connecticut shoreline (yessssss!). Twofold fun: I get to pick up necessities at (IMHO) the best natural health product supplier in Connecticut, and I get to hit the beach. I love the beach in winter. There’s this bare, spare, black and white, muted, quiet, cold salt, driftwood thing going on.

Because spring is on the way (today is January 29), I’m about to try a new, clarifying scalp treatment, and I’ll need to pick up supplies at Foodworks. It never much occurs to me to detoxify and deep cleanse my scalp. And yet, my scalp is the stage for a lot of product (albeit natural product), that I have no doubt accumulates on and in my scalp over time.

There’s a whole spectrum of scalp-detox products out there (the Morocco line looks good). But they all come with major price tags. Although Morocco’s Zen scalp detox is only $19 for 4 ounces, basic shipping is $12 (overnight shipping is $38). That’s insane.

This is going to be my recipe: 1 part bentonite clay (I like Aztec brand); 1 part organic apple cider vinegar; 1 part aloe juice, and a few drops sage or rosemary essential oil. Mix it up thoroughly, apply to scalp, cover with a plastic cap, and let sit for 30 minutes. Remove cap, and let sit for another 10 minutes. Rinse with apple cider vinegar, wait 3 minutes, then shampoo. That’s the plan.

This is far more cost effective than Morocco, and I know for sure that the ingredients are fresh and pure. I’ll let you know how this works out. If my hair falls out, I’ll let you know that too. It’s all an adventure.

I’m also thinking of going back to using henna regularly again. This winter has been a long one, and my hair is looking blah. It could use a color boost without the pernicious chemicals found in hair coloring products, plus it could definitely use a kick of shine. Downside of henna use: you really have to keep the henna on overnight for it to work. I used it regularly before I married. Now, I’m not sure I want to gross out my husband. But I’ll probably just do it anyway.

A little snow is falling sideways outside. A friend (this is the girl I do those fasting detoxes with) just walked up to me and placed a spinach, pineapple, peach, and cranberry smoothie on my desk. She said it was ‘spot on’. I don’t drink cold juice much in winter, but I have to say, she was right. I completely hogged it.

Dhyana

Popular Posts